The mission of this congregation shall be to realize the ideals and teachings of Jesus; to win people to faith in Christ and active involvement in the Church; to help people grow in the knowledge of Christ that increasingly all may know and do God’s will; to work for Christian unity; and to engage in the common task of building the kingdom of God.
We Are Disciples of Christ
We are Disciples of Christ, a movement for wholeness in a fragmented world. As part of the one body of Christ, we welcome all to the Lord’s Table as God has welcomed us.
- We practice unity and inclusion at the Lord’s Table for the sake of mission and for the sake of the world as the one family of God. We celebrate communion every Sunday: that’s why we use a chalice as our logo.
- We see baptism as the basis of membership in the Church and also a mark that every person is called to serve God – the idea of the “priesthood of all believers.” While we practice baptism by immersion at the decision of the person being baptized, we honor and accept baptisms from other traditions.
- We honor our heritage as a movement for Christian unity by cooperating and partnering with other faith communities to work for bringing about wholeness – healing and justice – in the world.
- We are called to study and read scripture for ourselves. Rather than having tests of faith and creedal statements, we critically and thoughtfully study scripture, taking into account the history and background – the context – in which it was written. Our understanding of scripture is enriched by having many perspectives at the table.
- We also honor the heritage of Christian unity by staying together in covenant as a witness to the world that even when we disagree we can still make room, welcoming all to the table as Christ has welcomed us. Our early leaders were fond of saying, “unity, not uniformity.
- We move to answer God’s call for justice particularly in the areas of care for the earth, challenges for women and children, racism, poverty, and hunger. We seek to do this work in cooperation with other people of faith.
- We have been called to be and to share the Good News of Jesus Christ, witnessing, loving and serving from our doorsteps to the ends of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
Do you have questions?
Contact us, we’re happy to talk!